My little flower shop

The 'flower shop' project is something that I've always wanted to do but never had the courage to start it because of the labour/quilling work that seemed a little 'overwhelming' to me. I'm not a full time crafter (more of a weekend crafter), and on weekends I have other duties or roles that I have to juggle with. Thus most of the time, I prefer quilling on cards, as they are less demanding - taking the most 2 to 3 hours to complete, yet I get to enjoy the serenity of paper crafting (entering 'quilling zen').

Months ago, I came across a nice ready made photo frame at a local shop that I found 'click' immediately with the 'flower shop' I had in mind. And so I purchased the frame, but no immediate action followed and the frame was left on my bench for weeks. Then when it's almost a week before Mother's day, I thought well maybe I should put the idea into action, and give it as a gift for my mum who are good in flower arranging. So I started making the flower pots, of various sizes and height, using tight coils.


If you have been following my blog closely, you'll know that I ended up giving my mum the carnation card instead of a 'flower shop'. Yes, I procrastinated on quilling the flowers, the pots have been left collecting dust on my craft table for weeks. Until finally one afternoon in the final week of June, I started making the first pot of flower - the daffodils. Then on another day, I quilled the second pot of flower. Then on another day, another pot of flower. And another...


I continued quilling a little a day, taking my time in enjoying the process. Without realising, I completed the flower pots sooner than I imagined. And the process wasn't as overwhelming or daunting as I thought too. Here are the flowers that I made, and the techniques involved in making them.

 Daffodils - marquise, cone, wheatears

 Cactus - crimping, teardrop, fringing

 Calla lily - spirals on toothpick, cone

Bluebells - spiral on toothpick, cone rolls, curved strip for leaves

 Tulip - duck foot, wheatears

 Christmas cactus - heart, teardrop

Air plant - 1/8" wide dark and light green strips of various lengths, trim the paper on one side so that they become pointed, and layered two different shades of green together

Daisies - fringing with coils

And once all the flower pots were ready, I arranged them in the photo frame as I like before finally gluing them down.


And we are up for business!

The 'flower shop' project is a wonderful experience for me. I learnt that if you break things down to smaller achievable tasks and focus on completing each smaller task at a time, big projects/ goals will become less daunting and manageable. Yes, start by attempting a step at a time, and without realising it, you've jogged through the entire journey.

Till then, keep quilling!            

Comments

  1. Awww sooo cute love all of them and my favorite is hanging pot and daisies and daffodils.. now i want to make my own flower shop:D Thanks for idea and sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, each pot is so special, love the hanging pot with two tone leaves !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely :) I hope your mother liked it.

    -Nagamani
    http://www.quillingzone.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just beautiful! And daffodils are so cute!
    How big( high) each plant is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, the largest plant the daffodils is about 2" tall and 1" wide. The rest are either the same or smaller.

      Delete
  5. nice work... visit my page... have a look at my quilling creations.. ur suggestions are welcome... www.av-visuals.com/quilling-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable! I love doing little pots with flowers, but haven't for years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments here. ^_^