Quilling with the community

Okay, as promised - the quilled tree created by staffs of Sarawak Biodiversity Centre (that I mentioned in my earlier post) - here it is
Close up view

To give you an idea how tall the tree is
One of the staffs showed me a print of quilled tree they found on the web that inspired them to creating this, I'm not sure whom the quiller is but the design is quite similar to the banyan tree by Suganthi, except that there's no little animals but little red flowers.

Next is a photo of me posing at my booth. I was invited to join the paper art booth featuring origami and quilling. I was given 2 tables, so I used one to display my own work and some supplies whereas the other for the make-n-take activity. I also exhibited the few quilling artwork that I brought back from Hanoi.
And here's the crowd who were attracted by the quilling display. Many of them had never heard of quilling. Some asked me where it originated from, some even asked if I came out with this idea myself, despite the fact that I actually prepared a nice printed intro of quilling. Well, I guess there's too many words. Haha! Although there's a sign saying 'please do not touch', they just couldn't help it. I mean if you haven't been exposed to quilling, it's not easy to believe that the earrings are made from paper strips, or that the sturdy solid basket is made of coils of paper strips. Cameras are of course unavoidable. There's even an middle age uncle from Melbourne, he took a photo of every pieces of quilling work that I displayed on the table. He said he wanna tell his grandchild who loves craft about this paper art.

I had fun at the make-n-take section. I had to speak Chinese, English and local Malay languages when teaching different people. There were girls, boys, and adults. Most of the quillers were kids. I noticed kids were more keen to trying something new than adults. We used bamboo skewers and also shredded magazine strips prepared by SBC staffs for the quilling.

For more photos of the make and take session, please see HERE.

Last but not least, I wanted to share this meaningful piece created by the staffs and also the public who came by our origami/quilling booth.
Combining quilling and origami to promote biodiversity awareness - an interactive activity for the public. The quilled map is the map of Malaysia.

Comments

  1. the tree is so beautiful and a good attitude

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, the tree is awesome, and love your display and activity, the pics are great and looks like a great day for you !!!!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay, paula, it's certainly a wonderful experience for me!

      Delete
  3. Such fun to read your post and how nice you exposed the crowd to quilling. It seems to be the same everywhere... so many people have never seen or heard of it, yet are fascinated once they are introduced to what can be done with simple strips of paper. And children aren't intimidated, but adults are. I wonder what that says about us?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for dropping by Ann! I think more and more people are being exposed to quilling with the aid of social network and the internet. There are actually other crafters who are starting to sell quilling cards and 3D quilling in local bazaars, which is a good sign. Haha, I guess we as adults have lost the curiosity and courage to change as we are residing happily in our comfort zone.

      Delete
  4. Superb I love all your work!
    Greetings Baukje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Credit goes to the staffs of Sarawak Biodiversity Centre. ^^

      Delete
  5. I absolutely enjoyed reading your post, Lulu! I am so glad more and more people are getting exposed to the wonderful art of paper quilling! And I can totally understand people's curiosity, been there myself! Hihi!

    Hugs!
    Manu

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments here. ^_^